Murder at the Poe's Raven Party
A Gothic murder mystery party for 10-18 guests, ages 16+ for difficulty (it's not for novices and has a fun challenge). The players are all gender flexible. There are two victims in this game. This is the instant download version of the game, there's nothing to ship, so no shipping fees. No waiting! For the party ready pack (boxed set), click on the link below in the helpful links section. With this purchase, you will receive a host instruction file, solution file, and a file to print that contains the game materials. The free invitation is below, under helpful links.
This game was released in April of 2018, and revised 8/19/21.
- Click here to view the character list!
- Click here for the free, printable invitation!
- Click here for expansion pack #1 (6 expandable players, purchased separately)
- Click here for expansion pack #2 (18 unique players, purchased separately. Expansion packs must be played in order.)
- Click here to view sample game materials.
- Click here for the boxed version - have My Mystery Party staff prepare your game kit!
- Click here to check out the Murder Mystery Prop Emporium!
- Direct your guests to the corresponding pre-game site at 'Your Mystery Party'
You have received an invitation to a raven party at the Poe Mansion in the gloomy crime-ridden city of Wraith’s Cove. The town gossips are chattering about the disreputable people on Eddie Poe’s guest list. What could Eddie be thinking? Could it be that Eddie has finally gone mad? It appears that at least the Poe Mansion’s in dire need of assistance. Ever since Eddie’s housekeeper quit, the estate is in shambles.
Nevertheless, you are intrigued by the thought of a Gothic dinner party held in honor of a fiendish bird – even if the group of ruffians may cause chaos. Chaos can be fun sometimes, right? This is where your story begins.
- 18 unique players from the main game.
- 6 unique players from expansion pack #1
- 18 unique players from expansion pack #2
- Up to 15+ duplicate undertakers with Hollis Heep, Expansion Pack #1.
- Up to 15+ duplicate Comic Emporium staff with Dom Sorel, Expansion Pack #1.
- Up to 15+ duplicate troubled offspring of Linden Zhivago, Expansion Pack #1.
- Up to 15+ duplicate newspaper crew members with Kennedy March, Expansion Pack #1.
- Up to 15+ duplicate advertising staff with Jackie Pan, Expansion Pack #1.
- Up to 15+ duplicate mobsters with Izzy Diamond, Expansion Pack #1.
This instantly downloadable game accommodates 42 unique players by using both expansion packs and an additional yet optional ability to expand to over ~180 guests by using teams (duplicate players) with expansion pack #1. View the character list of expansion pack #1 for further details. The game may expand above 180, but not much further than that.
For DIY party decor and food:
- Minimum age:
- 16 years for difficulty - challenging sleuth, not for novices. This is a Gothic theme, which is characterized by mystery, horror, and gloom.
- Number of players:
- 10-18 players (10 required to play)
- All characters are gender flexible
- Expansion pack(s)?:
- 6 expandable player and 18 player to extend to 180+ players with teams (both purchased separately from the main game.)
- 7/10 difficulty
- # of victims:
- There are two victims (one main and one quick-sleuth)
We used this theme for my daughters 17th birthday party. We had 18 kids participate and everyone had so much fun. They dressed up and played their parts wonderfully. At the end of the night most were asking when we would be hosting the next one!
We had 25 people participate and get SO into this murder mystery at our Halloween party this weekend. Everyone had a blast & got so much energy from playing. We didn’t have folks dress for their characters, they were assigned as they walked in, but it still worked wonderfully. A strong emcee helped guide the mystery and another helped plant the costume cards stealthily. Getting rave reviews still from people!
We ordered this game for my husband's 40th birthday party. It was so much freakin fun. We invited 17 guests and it turned out perfect. The timeline provided in the game was the perfect amount of time to play out the event. I wanted to be part of the game so I didn't read everything for the third round so assigning the 2nd victim was a little confusing but still turned out great! We served cornished hens "ravens" for our meal so it was a great addition to the party. Although if you're pressed for time cook something quick that can be easily dished up and served. Make sure to leave time between the 2nd and 3rd rounds to let your guests guess whodunit before passing out the Round 3 cards. You are assured to have a blast!
Had 14 people for a party and this kit made it easy and smooth. Everyone had a great time and we will be talking about this for a while. Can’t wait to try another game.
It was the first time I was hosting a murder mystery party and because I knew a lot of the guests were really into this kind of topics I choose to go for a more difficult level. We used all 18 players and it took us around 3.5 hrs for the 3 rounds (we didnt use any of the bonus activities). I had no idea about the killer nor the victims so it was fun to play along, although it was also a bit hard being the hostess since you are also trying to get everyone drinks and food in the meantime...nevertheless, possible. I didnt want to ruin any of the surprises so I asked a non-attending friend to look into the solution key to write down the second victims name and I would just look at it when it was time....she didnt look properly and gave me the name of the killer....which was very funny because it threw everyone off ...however, it didnt affect the end result as everyone had guessed differently...it was a lot of fun!
We used the Raven Party as part of our dinner networking event for our management development program. Everyone absolutely loved it and got into and stayed in character the whole time. It was an excellent way for people to further their connections at work and have fun at the same time.