The Game Master's Virtual Escape | virtual mystery party
A non-murder, challenging mystery game for 6-12 players with fun escape-room style challenges, ages 15+ for difficulty. (The game can be played with only 4-5.) This game takes anywhere from 2-4 hours to complete, so you can separate it into two parties, if you wish. You'll figure out how to work together on video chat with your friends and family to find the notorious supervillain, The Game Master, and escape the game.
You will need to use a video chat service of your choice to host this party, and at least one player will need access to a device to be used for online searches.
This is a challenging, detailed game, so play this one if you are ready for some fun brain drain. This is an instantly downloadable game - no shipping, no waiting. You will need Wi-Fi for this game. This murder mystery game was formatted to play on Zoom or other video chat - you send each player a PDF file before the game and meet up virtually to play!
- Host character list
- Free, printable invitation
- Murder Mystery Prop Emporium
- Free, pre-game site at Your Mystery Party
Murder Mystery Synopsis:
The notorious trickster known as The Game Master has struck again. A group of adventurous people signed up for an escape room but got more than they bargained for, as they were separated and placed inside of locked chambers. The would-be gamers have been in complete darkness ever since. That is, until a computer monitor sprung to life in front of them. They are now connected to the others via video chat software and have mysterious packets that they are to use to escape. The group must work together at once. The Game Master, who typically dons a disguise, has also announced that he or she is among them as a participant. It makes sense now why The Game Master chose such a cast of vibrant and intriguing characters.
You don’t know who to trust, but you do know you need to figure out how to solve your way out of this creepy place. This is where your story begins.
YOU WILL RECEIVE:
- Host instruction file - including bonus games to play virtually, player instructions, and a timeline sheet (abbreviated instructions) for your event.
- Optional to use: checklists for the host - extremely helpful to have during the event.
- 12 character packets (PDF files) to send to your players in advance of the party. They include instructions, a character bio, suspect list, and three rounds of game play (optional pre-game, round one materials, round two materials).
- Solution keys/hint website for the game - host can play along without spoiling the game.
- Access to graphics used in the game via a host website so the host can screen-share (optional to use).
- Editable text field player contact sheet for pre-game tasks
- Introduction video to play to start the game, and two more videos on websites that are to be found during gameplay.
- Free invitation (optional to use)
- Free pre-game website (optional, but suggested)
If you wish to host this (or any other) game for profit, you will need a commercial license - click here.
- Minimum age:
- 15 for difficulty, but the content is 'G' rated.
- Difficulty rating:
- Challenging, 7/10
- Gender of character roles:
- Number of players in the main game:
- 6-12 (but can be played with only 4-5 - you'll receive a separate, optional host list for the 4 required players)
- Expandable/Expansion pack?:
- No, being an escape room type challenge, this game is recommended to be played with 12 players or less.
- Date of publication:
- June 2020
I group of buddies and I have been getting together virtually on Friday nights and hangout. After a few weeks of the same old same old, we decided to try the virtual escape room. In all we really enjoyed ourselves and felt like while it was challenging, we never got frustrated. The product is really well thought out and put together.
Ordered for my friend's birthday surprise. Allocated one character to each household and they dressed up as different characters from the same film. The different types of clues were great for everyone because each person had a chance to shine! Brilliant idea...Thank you
Fantastic way to celebrate a birthday during lockdown. Only thing you need in addition to this pack is a group messaging app. Really fun characters and range of difficulty in tasks with clues available if required. Several hours of fun!
Definitely more complicated than your traditional murder mystery. We all loved it and enjoyed every minute but it was for sure the most complicated one we've done. Worth it if you're up to the challenge and definitely work together or you won't make it through.
A great way to spend two hours during lockdown. Completely distracts you and lots of fun getting into fancy dress and sharpening up your acting skills! There were six of us on three computers, and the virtual clues worked very well. Used a couple of hints but that’s what they’re there for! Highly recommend.
We had a great time getting the family together during social distancing. Ages ranged from 20 to 60 and we all participated. Some clues were harder than others which was good because it kept everyone from getting bored. Will definitely get another game.
Our group enjoyed dressing up in character to play this virtual game via group chat. Developers included materials to add depth to character plots. The story line held together during progressive play through the clues. Google searching was necessary to decipher some of the puzzles. Everyone stayed engaged throughout the 90 min of game play helping with puzzling our way out of the scene.
We enjoyed playing the game. Was a little difficult sharing clues virtually. Would be better played in person. Made for a fun evening. Enjoyed the characters and getting into costume. Fun!
Did this game with 12 thirteen year old girls and two drama club directors from their school and everyone had a blast! It took us just under 4 hours for them to complete but we loved the different variety in the tasks. Well done!