Catch a Killer: The Murder of Professor Hackett
The Catch a Killer case file mystery games are a one of a kind experience. Unlike our other mystery games, the Catch a Killer games are not role-playing and may be played solo or with a group. Instead, you step into the shoes of a famous criminal psychologist, Dr. Gold, and help solve whodunit by sleuthing a case file full of evidence such as interrogation videos, coroner's report, text logs, and more. This will provide you with hours of entertainment (~3-5 hours). This is the instant download upon purchase. You'll have everything you need to play the game at click of a button once you purchase the game. No need to wait, no shipping fees. The boxed version of this game is now available - see the link below under 'helpful links.'
No annoying subscription required - solve the case in one setting.
This game is for ages 15 and up for difficulty, and may be played solo or with a group of any size. This game is moderate difficulty, but it's a case file, so only play this if you want to sleuth!
There are 14 videos to play during the game consisting of two videos from Detective Stone, 2 voicemail evidence videos, 9 witness interrogation videos, and a video of the basement of the Hackett Estate. You can download the videos from your account upon purchase, stream from YouTube or Vimeo, or download from Vimeo. The videos are able to be downloaded prior to the game - so no WiFi is needed to host the game. There is a corresponding website at Your Mystery Party that goes along with the game, as well.
Game release date: 8/4/20
- Click here for the boxed set! The boxed version is a fantastic gift! Put the recipient's name in the text field of the shopping cart. You cannot gift the download version, as there are no game-license transfers allowed with the game license.
- Direct your guests to the corresponding pre-game invitation site at 'Your Mystery Party' Playing solo? Just check out the site before you play!
- Click here for the free invitation. Partying solo? NO worries - skip it - skip it good.
PLAY SOLO OR AS A GROUP: there is a lot of flexibility on how to play this game. You can play by yourself and solve the case in one night or spread out the fun and intrigue over time and work on the case at your leisure. You can take your time and spread out the fun over multiple nights – this is a challenging game.
Alternatively, you can host a party (or two or three) and solve the case as a group. There are two ways to play with a group:
- Work together as an investigative team. Don’t move on with the case unless everyone agrees or at least debates the issues until you have an agreement (or you agree to disagree).
- Work together on the investigation but have each player (or smaller teams of players) submit an individual guess of whodunit. The materials will be available to the group equally, but each player (or team) will take notes and come to conclusions independently. They can discuss the case, but with a competitive edge. You can declare winners after the solution is presented.
YOUR GAME WILL INCLUDE:
- Detective Stone's 48 hour video (round one)
- 9 Witness Interrogation videos (6 suspects, 2 follow-ups, and one additional witness)
- Detective Stone's 72 hour video (round two)
- Video of the victim's basement
- Video of voicemail evidence (2)
- Murderer's confession video
- Three password-protected websites at YourMysteryParty.com containing additional evidence and links to the videos at Your Mystery Party
MATERIALS TO PRINT (OR YOU COULD SIMPLY VIEW THE PDF)
- Summary of Witnesses (Suspects)
- Six Persons of Interest Forms
- Coroner’s Report (autopsy)
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) (2)
- Victim’s Identification Form
- Narrative Report of the Crime Scene by Detective Nicholas Stone
- Schematic of the Hackett Mansion’s Basement
- Legal Agreement
- Text message logs (2)
- Head-shots of the Suspects (optional to use)
- Crime Lab Report
- Toxicology Report
- Fish-Crowley Scientific Report
- Email evidence (3)
- Social media posts (8)
- Newspaper article
- Incident report
MURDER MYSTERY SYNOPSIS
Detective Nicholas Stone of the Crowburn Hollow Police Department has asked you, Dr. Casey Gold, for urgent assistance with a homicide case. The murder has garnered considerable media attention and is now trending on all social media platforms.
Professor Theodore Hackett collapsed to his death in his basement in front of friends and family on Tuesday evening. It is 48-hours later, and it's crucial to break the case or the chances of the murderer getting away with it increase with every tick of the clock. The lead detective needs your expertise. Can you help solve the case? Detective Stone is counting on it
- Number of Players:
- Play alone or add as many players as you wish. It's unlimited.
- Minimum Age of Players:
- 16 due to difficulty, violence associated with details of a murder, alcohol, and mentions of potential cult and possible sorcery.
- Gender of Players:
- Either - this is not a role playing game.
Had a great time doing this with friends virtually!!
A fun time for a team building event. My co-workers loved it. They really enjoyed that we could do this in the new normal virtual world in which we live. There was so much information with documentation and videos to keep the investigators engaged. Highly recommend.
A fun night for middle school and high school students to look over evidence to search through the details to "catch a killer". "We don't use codes we just us SnapChat" was my favorite quote from a student when trying to figure out the cryptic text messages. They were super excited when they finally figures it out. They struggled with putting together the timeline and it took a full 4 hours but most of the students followed the evidence to "catch the killer".
Love these games! Definitely worth the investment. Hours of playing fun!!