Commercial Use License | In person use
COMMERCIAL USE AGREEMENT FOR IN-PERSON EVENT HOSTING:
if you have purchased the standard license for a single use game and would like to use it for commercial use and/or want to purchase the commercial license to reuse the game, you must also purchase this Commercial License. One commercial license covers one game. If you wish to license multiple games, you will need a commercial license for each game. The in-person commercial license expires after a one-year period and the licensee will be responsible to renew upon expiration - we do not send notices of expiration. You are responsible for knowing whether your event is covered by your commercial license.
You can host the game an unlimited amount of times (as long as the Buyer on record is present as the host).
You will need a commercial license if:
- You are promoting the game online on a site accessible by the public &/or
- You plan to use the game more than one time (public or private) &/or
- Intend to perform the game in public with spectators who have paid an entry fee for the event &/or
- If you intend to use the game for profit (public or private) &/or
- If you intend to host the game for a public murder mystery event (i.e. dinner theater, fundraisers, bed and breakfasts, corporate events, a benefit of a membership, etc.), whether or not you charge for participation or entry, using our game to promote your business in any manner will require a commercial license, &/or
- If you are charging an entry fee to any event (public or private) in which the event includes or is associated with our game in any manner - even if you are not expecting a profit and only expecting to recoup the costs associated with the event (e.g. the game, meals, decor, etc.).
- If you are purchasing the game and selling the package &/or participation of the game to a client or including the package as part of your services to them (note: you must be the host on site during the game - the game license will not transfer to your client), This pertains to, but is not limited to, events run by eating establishments in which the game is played at the restaurant, event planners/consultants planning events for clients, a theater club, a social event for an organization in which the guests of the event are paying members, events at a bed and breakfast, events held in public, etc.
- If you are hosting the event on a virtual platform - this is not the license you will need for hosting video platform games - this page is only for in-person, face-to-face hosting. Click here for the virtual use license.
You will not need a commercial license if:
- You are hosting this as a single use event in private and not accepting any form of payment for participation &/or
- You are a school, library, or other public agency/corporation who is hosting this as a single use game at no charge to the players or spectators &/or
- You have a registered 501c with an associated (active) federal ID and provide us with this number and organization name upon purchase of your standard game license with the Buyer being the one who is hosting the event. The charitable organization's name must be associated with the order for the license waiver to occur. We will waive up to 3 commercial licenses for a 501c charity per year (this is three face-to-face events). Note: we will not waive the commercial license on a beta version of the game where a store credit has been issued. A beta test version is not a standard license, as once you are issued a store credit, the beta license is inactivated.
WE DO NOT PROVIDE LICENSES FOR THE FOLLOWING TYPES OF EVENT:
- Any form of live-streaming or recording of the game in any form while being played, as that is a violation of the standard license of the game and our Terms and Conditions (www.mymysteryparty.com/info)
YOUR LICENSE WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE CANCELED WITHOUT A REFUND IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND COMMERCIAL USE AGREEMENT:
- Buyer on record must be the host: you are not authorized to modify or sell any game documents in any form (i.e. electronic, printed, or otherwise), and you must not transfer any portion of the game materials in any manner (with the exception of you, the host, providing the designated materials to a player during gameplay) to another end-user. The Buyer/licensee on record must be present in the room at all times for the duration of the game. If you breach the agreement, you will void the license and you may be subject to legal action, as that is a violation of the license and copyright law. This license gives you the right to host the published My Mystery Party mystery game at your event, as long as you (the Buyer on record/User/Licensee) abide by the agreement.
- Online and printed materials must give My Mystery Party credit - you cannot pass the game off as your own: In all promotional materials (including online content and printed), you are to include a statement that it is a MyMysteryParty.com game with a live link to www.mymysteryparty.com (printed materials must include the statement and a web address.) Failure to do so will void the license without notice. Removing the MyMysteryParty.com copyright information or logo is forbidden, and will void this license without notice. Any attempt at hiding the fact you are hosting our game will void the license. Therefore, using/posting our materials online, failing to mention it is our game, and removing any evidence of copyright will void this license. We will contact you via email at the email address on file for the User to notify you of the breach and voided license.
- Posting spoilers (i.e. photos of who the victim or murderer are, photos of the player in costume as the victim, etc.) or any form of copywritten material (i.e. victim sign, forensic report - printed copy, verbal, electronic, or otherwise) is not allowed per the standard license and Terms and Conditions.
How to use your license:
- Print & store: Upon purchase, simply print out your order confirmation for your records, and the PDF file of the license for your records that you will receive upon purchase. Write your order number down on the license, as our staff could contact you if they find a violation (i.e. you posted about the game without a link to our site and the required statement).
- Getting the standard license linked: if you have made the purchase of the game license separately, in the comments section of the order form, you must put the order number and name of the game in which you purchased the license for. Without this information, the license is not active. You will need a license for each game that you wish to use as described above. If you purchase a license, and do not provide a previous order number, and have multiple instant download orders - this license will be activated and applied to the most recent purchase of an instant download game after 24 hours. After 24 hours, this may not be altered, as the commercial license may not be transferred. Using a game commercially without a license may result in legal action.
- Double check your need for the license prior to purchase: this license is not transferable and there are no exceptions. There are no refunds on commercial licenses, so be sure you are purchasing a license that you will use.
- Using our graphics: if you need to use our graphics for the promotion of your event in any form (i.e. paper print, web, video, etc.), you are to include a reference that all art is the property of and was provided by MyMysteryParty.com. If this reference is on the web, there must be an active link to our site. Any violation of these terms (i.e. we find that you are selling our products to an end user, etc.) will nullify this commercial license and we will pursue immediate legal action against you.
- Active period: this in-person (face-to-face) hosting license expires after a one-year period. You hereby agree to download the most current version of the commercially licensed game as they arise. The game site will have a notice when an update is made to the game. You will not be allowed to use former versions of the game for your events.
- Retired Games: on occasion, we retire our games - either the theme goes out of date or the lower popularity ranking doesn't warrant the next round of edits and updates. If you have a commercial license for a game that is no longer offered on our site, you still have the ability to host the game during the one-year period per this commercial license. Albeit, we will no longer be updating nor supporting the game with updates, pre-game site, or other game materials.
- You cannot get a commercial license for a beta-tested version of the game. A beta test version does not count as a standard license, as you were issued a store credit and the license was inactivated - or - you received the beta version at no charge for testing purposes. Therefore, you will need to purchase the standard license of the published game to be eligible to have it commercially licensed.
License agreements were updated on 06/29/20, 9/20/20, and 4/12/21